Archbishop Tenison's Church of England High School, Kennington

Archbishop Tenison's is an secondary voluntary aided, comprehensive school, part of the educational provision of the Anglican Diocese of Southwark and is located near the Oval cricket ground in Kennington. It is principally a boys school with girls being admitted in the sixth form.

Archbishop Tenison’s school was founded in 1685 by Thomas Tenison, who was, at the time Vicar of St. Martins-in the-Fields, Trafalgar square. Thomas wanted to provide the first free education for boys in London so he founded both a school and library within the precincts of the church. His innovative approach is still alive today, with our modern curriculum supported by traditional values.

The school has around 543 pupils of whom 78 are in the Sixth form. The school has a most interesting website which can be opened from here

The Headteacher, Mrs Elizabeth Sims MA is providing inspirational leadership. The Ofsted report in January 2012 stated 'Outstanding leadership at all levels ensures that the governing body and all staff know the students very well.'

The Dyers' connection with Archbishop Tenison's School started in 2007 and we have made grants annually since then for various causes including sixth form bursaries and a minibus. In a modest way we also offer some mentoring.

Previous page